ILRI vacancy: Computing Systems Analyst (Closing date: 15 …
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Computing Systems Analyst to analyze, develop and implement systems to ensure ILRI s research computing infrastructure satisfies the needs of scientists, uses up-to-date technologies and achieves international standards for data sharing, archiving and management.
ILRI works with partners worldwide to enhance the roles that livestock play in food security and poverty alleviation, principally in Africa and Asia. The outcomes of these research partnerships help people in developing countries keep their farm animals alive and productive, increase and sustain their livestock and farm productivity, find profitable markets for their animal products, and reduce the risk of livestock-related diseases. www.ilri.org1
ILRI is a not-for-profit institution with a staff of about 700 and in 2015, an operating budget of about USD 83 million. A member of the CGIAR Consortium working for a food-secure future, ILRI has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, a principal campus in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and offices in other countries in East, West and Southern Africa and in South, Southeast and East Asia. www.cgiar.org2
This is an international Computing Systems Analyst position whose purpose is to strategically lead research computing at ILRI, reporting to the Head of the Research Methods Group (RMG) and the Program Leader for Animal Biosciences.
- Design and lead implementation of the strategy for research computing infrastructure, applications and services, keeping up-to-date with changes and advances relevant to ILRI s research activities.
- Take the lead in maintaining and further development of secure and robust systems to support research data storage, processing, display and distribution; in liaison with ILRI s ICT team.
- Communicate with researchers concerning updates, opportunities, requirements and changes made to the research-computing systems; in liaison with ILRI s ICT team.
- Develop more effective ways of using and configuring applications and make them available for use across the ILRI campuses; in liaison with ILRI s ICT team.
- Maintain and develop robust systems for backup of user and application data on the research-computing platform.
- Provide infrastructure and systems support to spatial and non-spatial data management systems at ILRI.
- Manage the installation, configuration and maintenance of scientific applications on the research-computing platform.
- Mentor and assist Bioscience Directorate & Biosciences East and Central Africa (BecA-ILRI) team members with hardware and software for sequencing data capture, processing, storage and analysis.
- Manage the Research Computing Systems team within RMG.
- An MSc in Computer Science or Computer Information Systems or a BSc with comparable experience.
- At least 5 years relevant experience managing *nix systems.
- Significant experience in management of high-performance computing cluster environments, including design and development of systems.
- Significant experience in a scientific-computing environment, preferably bioinformatics applied research preferable.
- Experience in the provisioning and management of virtual machines.
- Experience with scripting for automation, batch processing, etc.
- Knowledge of relational databases and database-driven applications.
- Experience working in an international research environment.
Post location: The position is based at ILRI s Headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya.
Position level: The position level is 4A.
Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Benefits: ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes 15% Pension, Medical insurance, Life insurance and allowances for: Education, Housing, Relocation, Home leave, Annual Discount Holidays © holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae with full details of current remuneration: a list of publications and names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate s professional qualifications and work experience should be included in the curriculum vitae. The position title and reference number: CSA/10/2015 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: Computing Systems Analyst3 by 15 November 2015. We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.