Vasil Kiryienka wins first time trial as world champion
Team Sky’s Vasil Kiryienka wins the Chrono des Nations – his first time trial since winning the World Championships in Richmond
Vasil Kiryienka (Belarus) on the podium after winning the Mens TT at the 2015 UCI World Championships (Watson)
The Team Sky man won the 51.5km Chrono des Nations win in Les Herbiers, in the Loire region, on Sunday, beating out One Pro Cycling s Polish TT champion Marcin Bialoblocki2 by 1-15. FDJ s Johan Le Bon took third place, as silver medalist in Richmond, Adriano Malori, could only manage seventh 2-47 down on Kiryienka.
Giro d Italia 2016 route
Malori s teammate Jonathan Castroviejo3 came 11th, one place below 25-year-old Madison-Genesis4 rider James McLaughlin, who claimed his second 10th place time trial finish in seven days, having also ridden the Chrono Champenois Masculin International the previous weekend.
Lampre-Merida s Nelson Oliveira set to join Malori and Castroviejo at Movistar next season5 came home fifth, 2-18 down on Kiryienka. Kiryienka s win was his fifth time trial win of the year, with four of them being over 50km in length. His first came at the Giro d Italia (59.4km)6, followed by the European Games (51.6km)7 and the Belarus Championships (36.3km); the World Championships (53.5km) and now the Chrono des Nations (51.5km).
- ^ Kiryienka: Worlds still a hard win even without Wiggins and Cancellara (www.cyclingweekly.co.uk)
- ^ Marcin Bialoblocki wins Tour of Poland time trial as Ion Izagirre takes overall (www.cyclingweekly.co.uk)
- ^ Shimano neutral service help pull Jonathan Castroviejo from a ravine (video) (www.cyclingweekly.co.uk)
- ^ Madison-Genesis (www.cyclingweekly.co.uk)
- ^ Cycling transfer tracker: keep up with all the ins and outs (www.cyclingweekly.co.uk)
- ^ Alberto Contador back in Giro d Italia lead after crucial time trial (www.cyclingweekly.co.uk)
- ^ Wrong turn costs sole Azerbaijan rider at European Games time trial, as Kiryienka wins (www.cyclingweekly.co.uk)