Dozens of British children rushed to hospital with mystery vomiting bug in luxury Spanish resort

Dozens of British kids have been rushed to hospital with a mystery vomiting bug in a luxury Spanish Discount Holidays © holiday resort. Guests staying at the 180-bedroom Marina Parc hotel in the resort of Arenal D’en Castell in Menorca say their holidays have been ruined by the bug. Children who have taken a dip in the pool at the First Choice run hotel popular with Brit tourists have been rushed to hospital with severe sickness and diarrhoea.

This afternoon, lawyers for affected guests at the hotel said holidaymakers are risking further illness after failing to get appropriate advice from their tour operator about the outbreak which they say has affected at least 30 children.

Kevin Kiernan Dozens Of British Children Rushed To Hospital With Mystery Vomiting Bug In Luxury Spanish Resort Kevin Kiernan with his family

Kevin Kiernan says his 10-month old baby daughter was taken ill in the outbreak. Kevin had booked into the 180-bedroom hotel with his partner Sarah and daughter Keira, 10 months for a two week holiday. They had travelled as a group of ten with other friends and family. His problems started soon after they arrived when he claims he was given a dirty cot with stains on it and then during dinner time he claimed that the waitresses were failing to clean the baby high chairs in between guests.

Kevin Kiernan Dozens Of British Children Rushed To Hospital With Mystery Vomiting Bug In Luxury Spanish Resort The pool at the hotel Kevin Kiernan Dozens Of British Children Rushed To Hospital With Mystery Vomiting Bug In Luxury Spanish Resort Ciara Kiernan in hospital

The 28-year-old said: There were just two waitresses and after each baby had left they wouldn t wipe it down and they would put it outside covered in food and then seagulls would perch on it and eat the food. Then they would shoo them away and bring it back in for the next guests. It was appalling. We ate out after we saw that. After a few days by the pool he claims he noticed some yellow scum floating on the surface of the water at the other end of the swimming pool.

The Lab technician who works at an opticians – said: “It was near the edge of the deep end and we hadn t been down there as we had a blow up paddling pool which we had filled with some of the pool water for our daughter. But it looked very unhygienic and yellowy so I took a picture and showed the reps to try and get them to shut and clean the pool. But they weren t interested. The following day Keira was projectile vomiting.

First Choice Dozens Of British Children Rushed To Hospital With Mystery Vomiting Bug In Luxury Spanish Resort Marina Parc Hotel

He added: One minute she was smiling and laughing then she was violently sick it was very scary. Then when we cleaned her up but she was sick again. We was really worried. So the rep then called a taxi and they were rushed to hospital in the island capital Mahon. He added: Staff put her on a drip and we were really worried it could be life threatening.”

It was then that he started noticing a steady stream of youngsters being admitted from the same hotel with the same symptoms.

He added: I noticed the parents had the same coloured arm bands as us. So I spoke to them and they confirmed they were from the same hotel. They were put on drips and then more and more families came in. They all said they had been told by the reps in the hotel their children were an isolated case but how could they be as my daughter and other children were already in hospital.

First Choice Dozens Of British Children Rushed To Hospital With Mystery Vomiting Bug In Luxury Spanish Resort Marina Parc Hotel

He said the hospital then took a stool sample but refused to disclose the results to them but said they were passing them on to their tour operator instead. After four days of worry his daughter was finally discharged but after one day back at the hotel her condition deteriorated and they had to return.

He added: When we went back in there were even more kids and families there. I couldn t risk my daughters health any longer, so I got the doctor to give my daughter an anti sickness injection so we could fly home five days early from our holiday. After returning to the UK nine days ago he took his daughter to his local Cardiff hospital and later his GP and thankfully his daughters health started improving and while he awaited tests results he contacted First Choice about his ordeal.

Instead of apologising they offered him a 50 travel voucher for their company instead. He added: It was a complete kick in the teeth and a disaster from start to finish. I have never experienced such appalling customer service. Nick Harris, Head of Travel Law at Discount Holidays © holiday claims specialists Simpson Millar Solicitors -who are representing affected families said: “Children are being admitted to hospital and no one is letting other guests know about the risk to their children s health. What really is concerning is that people are not receiving proper advice from their Discount Holidays © holiday company about what to do in this situation which is quite frankly appalling .

“People need to know under the law of Package Travel Regulations they can feel safe on holiday.

Tour operators must do much more to prioritise their customers instead of prioritising their profits. A spokesman for First Choice said: We are sorry to hear of the Kiernan family s experience. As this is now subject to legal proceedings, it would be inappropriate for us to comment further.

We closely audit all resorts to which we operate to ensure that health, hygiene and comfort levels are maintained in line with industry standards.

The hotel has been approached for comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*