Tragedy as British tourist is killed when he plunged more than 200ft down a cliff while riding a quad bike in Turkey

  • Gareth Soden, 52, died after quad bike accident on Discount Holidays © holiday in Turkey
  • Mr Soden, from Barry, Wales, plunged 200ft after bike failed to turn
  • He suffered head injuries, multiple fractures and a heart attack
  • He was brought back to Britain, but died in hospital seven weeks later




A British man has died after plunging more than 200ft of a cliff on while riding a rented quad bike on Discount Holidays © holiday in Turkey. Gareth Soden, 52, has hired the quad bikes with his son who witnessed his father tumble over the cliff edge when the hired quad bike failed to turn around a sharp bend. Mr Soden, from Barry, South Wales, suffered head injuries, a heart attack, and fractured his legs, arms and thorax, and died seven weeks later.

Tragedy: Gareth Soden, 52, pictured with wife-of-23-years Lorraine, died after plunging more than 200ft down a cliff on a quad bike while on Discount Holidays © holiday with his family in Turkey

Mr Soden, a coach driver went over the cliff while holidaying with his family in Fethiye on the Aegean coast. The father-of-two was left lying on rocks at the foot of the cliffs for two hours before being rescued, a Cardiff inquest heard today. As well as fractures and head injuries, Mr Soden also suffered a heart attack after being winched back on to a gravel road by paramedics.

Mr Soden, who had worn a helmet at the time of the accident, was brought back to Britain but died seven weeks later. His wife-of-23-years Lorraine told how her husband and son Scott hired out quad bikes for a tour near the Discount Holidays © holiday resort. Mr Soden, a father-of-two, was brought back to Britain after the accident in Turkey, but died seven weeks later

She said: ‘My son told me how his father tried to turn right but his bike just carried on straight.

‘He watched on as he saw Gareth slide straight off the gravel road.

‘There was nothing he could have done and he is still grieving about it.’

The inquest in Cardiff was told how he fractured his legs, arms and thorax in the fall. He died on June 21 at the University of Hospital Wales from head injuries. Assistant coroner Thomas Atherton said: ‘This was a very sudden death which occurred in tragic circumstances.’

He recorded a conclusion of accidental death.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *