Turkish police officers charged with death of American tourist

  • Tracey Lynn Brown, 48, died after being restrained by police officers in Turkey
  • She was supposed to be traveling to Chicago but missed her flight – and ended up arguing with officers at Ataturk Airport, Istanbul
  • The officers said they were forced to restrain her after she became violent
  • But they have now been charged with using excessive force causing death

By Laura Wells In Istanbul and Flora Drury For Mailonline12

Published: 15:27 GMT, 4 September 2015 | Updated: 19:43 GMT, 4 September 2015




Twelve police officers are facing a possible prison sentence for their alleged involvement in the death of an American tourist at a Turkish airport more than two years ago. Tracey Lynn Brown died in April 2013, almost two weeks after she was supposed to have left Ataturk Airport in Turkey for Chicago. For reasons unknown, she never caught her flight back to the States.

Scroll down for video

Turkish Police Officers Charged With Death Of American Tourist

Calm: The CCTV footage begins with Tracey Lynn Brown walking to passport control, where she apparently gets into an argument with police officers which would end with her dying in intensive care 13 days later

Instead, she ended up in an argument with the airport’s police officers, who eventually forcibly restrained her for almost 20 minutes, before getting a doctor to sedate her. Shortly afterwards, they realized Ms Brown no longer had a pulse and despite their best efforts, she never regained consciousness. CCTV footage of the incident shows Ms Brown face down and gasping for breath underneath the weight of their restraint.

Other images show them pulling her lifeless body around before beginning chest compressions. The 12 officers are now facing charges of ‘using of excessive force leading to death’, which, if found guilty, carries a sentence of between 12 and 16 years. Meanwhile, the doctor who oversaw the sedation is facing the possibility of two to six years behind bars, accused of negligence.

Ms Brown first arrived at the airport on the morning of April 4, having flown in from Tashkent, Uzbekistan. She was supposed to be in the airport for 13 hours, and was catching a connecting flight that evening. But it appears she missed her flight, and is seen on CCTV at about 9.50pm approaching what seems to be passport control.

She is then taken to a room, where she was is seen to start arguing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • No product categories exist.