Seven times when holidaymakers had unacceptable stays at Pontins Brean Sands before roof collapse

Conditions at Pontins Brean Sands have been brought into question over the last week after a falling ceiling duct hurt 18 people. Guests shared their horror stories of how last Wednesday evening’s events unfolded with one mum recalling how her child thought she was going to die and how a mother’s nine-year-old son had to rescue her mum from the rubble.[1][2] A disabled grandmother, who was crushed in the incident, was moved into intensive care after she underwent an operation for a broken hip and a crushed leg.[3]

Devon and Somerset Fire Service confirmed 40 metres of structural ducting had collapsed in the roof of the Fun House.

The ceiling duct after it collapsed inside the Fun House venue at Pontins

Somerset Live, as well as our sister titles, Bristol Live and Birmingham Live, have previously reported on the conditions of the Discount Holidays © holiday resort several times after customers contacted us with their experiences. Here are seven experiences Pontins visitors have shared

“A glorified smack den” – disgusted family’s damning verdict on Pontins

Seven times when holidaymakers had unacceptable stays at Pontins Brean Sands before roof collapseThe cloth shows the dirt at the guesthouse

A family from South Wales stormed out of Pontins Brean Sands after being disgusted about the state of their accommodation. Cherie Lansley, 28, arrived for a weekend stay with her two-year-old son, Carter-James Lansley and parents Eleanor and Paul Hughes.

But after checking into the Burnham-on-Sea[4] resort, she said she discovered a filthy accommodation full of dirty sinks and bath, crumbs in between the sofa, growing mould and an unclean cooker. Cherie Lansley said: “We checked in, got to the room to be greeted with the dirtiest, grubbiest place I have ever seen. “The sky light was thick with dirt, the cooker with grease, crumbs and sand all on the settee, dirty taps and bath, the list is endless.”

Seven times when holidaymakers had unacceptable stays at Pontins Brean Sands before roof collapseThe dirty skylight at Brean Sands guesthouse

The 28-year-old mother complained about the unclean state of her Discount Holidays © holiday place and was promptly moved to another room.

Here she was met with the same problems. “We then complained and got moved to another room that was in the exact same state so back we went again, to be moved to what was classed as ‘newly refurbished’ on what I could only describe as a glorified smack den. “At this point it was getting late and was too late to drive back with my boy so we stayed, which we then discovered damp and mould behind the beds, cooker knobs thick with grease and when we moved the telly there was thick dirt and chips there.

“We even bought our own cleaning products to try and make the best of a bad situation.”

Seven times when holidaymakers had unacceptable stays at Pontins Brean Sands before roof collapseDirt on the floor of their guesthouse

The untidy and filthy state of her accommodation meant she and her family could not use any of Pontins’ facilities and instead went off-site for the day. Shortly after, she travelled home to South Wales 36 hours after arriving and disappointed with her short stay at the Brean site.

Family ends Pontins Discount Holidays © holiday early after ‘hideous’ experience with ‘filthy’ rooms

Seven times when holidaymakers had unacceptable stays at Pontins Brean Sands before roof collapseDead ants and insects on the windows

A family ended their Discount Holidays © holiday two days early after a “hideous” experience that required them to “put up with far worse than anyone taking a Discount Holidays © holiday should be subjected to”. Darren Caswell and his family checked into Pontins Brean Sands[5] for a four-night stay with low expectations, after a previous Discount Holidays © holiday to the resort fell short of expectations.

Giving the resort one last chance to impress, Darren said his family checked into apartment 606 and were pleasantly surprised by the first impression. However, upon closer inspection, he said it appeared the apartment hadn’t been cleaned[6] since its previous visitors. Darren said: “We cleaned the apartment ourselves, having brought things with us based on our previous experience and made the apartment liveable so that at least after a long day our two young children would have somewhere to sleep, despite the infestation of mould in almost all of the rooms.”

The apartment was also reportedly missing fittings and fixtures – the refrigerator had no shelves, the toilet paper holder was broken in the bathroom and a drawer was missing from one of the workspaces.

Seven times when holidaymakers had unacceptable stays at Pontins Brean Sands before roof collapseMissing drawer in the apartment

Darren said: “We made plans for the days ahead that would mean that, other than somewhere to sleep, we’d have to spend as little time as possible in the apartment or even on the site.” But when the family returned to the apartment late on Tuesday afternoon, Darren said ants and flying ants were scattered about the floor and climbing up the windows. He added: “Further investigation suggested this was not the first evidence of this problem, as there were dead insect carcasses splattered on the walls and windows already.”

The family also questioned the security of the facility. Darren claims his family also witnessed people who appeared to be “smoking weed” while parked in one of the car parks as well as “guests racing around the site in high performance cars, making a thunderous noise with total disregard for anyone’s safety.” He added: “In hindsight, I probably should have called the police but was more interested in getting the children to bed and away from what was going on around us and we knew we were leaving the next day.”

Seven times when holidaymakers had unacceptable stays at Pontins Brean Sands before roof collapseBroken toilet roll holder in the bathroom

The following morning, Darren said his family checked out early, “two nights ahead of schedule having had to put up with far worse than anyone taking a Discount Holidays © holiday should be subjected to”.

While Darren filled out a complaint form with a member of staff, his wife took their child to the toilet in the lobby. Darren said: “She wasn’t in the toilet long before she joined me at the desk to let the lady I was talking to know that a cleaner was needed in the ladies toilet, as there was a used feminine hygiene product on the floor of the cubicle and poo smeared on the cubical wall.” The family says they have now struck the resort off, after two unforgivable experiences.

“It’s a health hazard, should be shut down!”

You may also like...